Tuesday, April 24, 2018

The Little Things

It's been a while since I have posted. I have had a lot going on and have found it difficult to focus on this enough to write something worth reading. I am trying not to get discouraged by what has and has not progressed as far as the property. But we have had a few worth while successes. 

We have been collecting between 7 and 9 eggs a day, and we are hoping that the rest of the girls start laying daily soon. The other day Naaman was running around in the Ranger and a chicken dive bombed in front of him. So we had some fresh meat that night, and we are down to 11 chickens. We have not decided if we are going to buy another girl so we will get a solid dozen eggs a day, or if we will get a rooster so we can start raising chicks. Or if we will just keep the 11 girls for now. 
Tonight we also plan on building a chicken run so they can have room to explore and get bugs without getting into our garden or anywhere else. Our neighbors, a couple hundred feet away, have called to let me know my chickens were in their yard. So I want to keep our free range chickens slightly more confined. 

Last night we finally planted our garden. We decided to buy small plants, instead of growing from seeds. So we got different types of tomatoes, peppers, squash, and herbs. Plus a few mystery plants that survived from when we tried growing from seeds a few months ago. It might be too late in the year for planting some of these, but that is okay! I need to remind myself that since we are at the beginning of this journey, this year is mainly about learning. I need to be thankful for what works, and learn from what doesn't. 
I also bought some celery and as I was cutting it up, I decided to try to grow some. So I put the bottom section in a glass with some water and we are very impressed with how fast it is growing. It's the little things like that that encourages us. 




God has been trying to speak to me, but my stubbornness and busy life with my "plans" have been keeping my mind too loud to hear Him. I need to start taking time every single day to put everything else aside and just pray. No cell phone, no chores, and no children. As selfish as that sounds, I need to remember that I can't be the mother that they need if I don't take time to have a relationship with God. He can show me how to live if I just listen. 



"He says, 'Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.'"
Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment