Saturday, March 10, 2018

Here's your sign!

Our lesson in farming this week came from the chickens. As I mentioned earlier, we got 8 new chickens on top of the 4 we already had. If you are a veteran chicken owner you know not to just throw all of them into the came coop. I did not know. So the next morning I found 4 chickens walking around like they owned the place, and 8 younger chickens hiding behind the hen box. I quickly realized I needed to separate them. Luckily my grandparents live next door and just happened to have an empty coop. Looks like we will be building another one for our chickens in the near future. 

My father and I went to a farmers market this morning and it was so much fun. To begin with, it was a beautiful day. It quickly got very hot, but that's Texas for ya. There were so many fun sights, sounds, smells, and food. I had never been to a farmers market before, so as I was shopping around I was soaking it all in and learning. How much of this can I make or grow at home? How much profit can I make? Is it worth putting that much time into? Out of everything I am seeing, what inspires me?

One of the first booths I walked into was the highlight of my day. They were selling sweet breads, jams, relish and such. They offered me a sample and when I told them I was gluten free they gave me the option of three different gluten free breads to try. The banana chocolate chip was amazing! I told them my story of being a pastry chef with Celiac Disease and wanting to create lots of delicious gluten free baked goods. In response to that, they offered me a job! Now, their actual location is an hour and a half from where I live, but I want to contact them and see how we can work together. I am very excited about this new development.

Have you ever had a "Here's your sign!" moment? I have had four, all about the same thing! As I said earlier, I want to be a gluten free baker. That may not sound that difficult, but baking without wheat flour is very tricky. The textures are very different, there are other ingredients you have to add, and sometimes the taste just does not work at all. There are a lot of misses before you hit on a good recipe. And I don't just want good recipes, I want great recipes. That kind of pressure I put on myself is intimidating. I am so lucky to have those around me to encourage me. My neighbor and long time friend, Traci, is one of my top supporters. She is always telling me how she sees something and thinks of me and how I should be selling my gluten free baked goods. Today, it was a little cafe downtown. They sell sandwiches and fresh produce. When they told her they were out of cookies, she immediately decided I needed to work with them. 

God keeps putting these things in front of me to remind me what I need to be doing. He wants me to bake, and bake wonderfully. To allow those who cannot or will not eat gluten to enjoy the same type of food as they could before. Every time I get discouraged or wonder if I should be perusing something else, He gives me another "Here's your sign!" moment so I don't give up. It's so wonderful.

God has put many people in my life to uplift me and I am so thankful. Without that constant positive reinforcement, I would not be able to get passed my insecurities and become all that God has planned for me. I am so glad they haven't given up on me, and I am glad God hasn't, either. I pray one day I will believe in myself as much as my loved ones believe in me. 


"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment